Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Puerto Viejo (personal)

Puerto Viejo was so much fun, I had never been to Limon before, and I felt a culture shock actually. It really did feel like I was in Jamaica, and I loved it. The people are all called Afrocostarricences. There is Bob marley gear and surf boards everywhere you go. As soon as we got there a lady asked us if we wanted braids in our hair. We told her that we had to get dinner first and that we werent sure where at. She said, dont worry ill find you. That was kind of creepy but it made me realize how small puerto viejo is. This map I got shows less than 50 places for tourists. But it is a great example of how the people of puerto viejo come together to make money off tourists. There are souvenir shops, scooter rentals, hair braiding, internet cafes, reasturants, cabins or motels, ice cream, adventure tour shops, jungle cottages, bars, lodges, surfing, an even an art gallery. It is very close to Playa negra, and just 13 km from Manzanillo, where we stayed at a really really nice hotel called the palms...to be continued..

No comments: